The elective course 'internship' (6 credits) is executed (unpaid) in companies not related to the university during the summer recess (6 weeks) between the first and second master year. Students will be engaged in normal working activities at a level corresponding to their final degree. After finishing the training, students have to write a report that is defended in front of a jury in the beginning of the second master year.
The internship gives students the opportunity to be confronted with practical working situations outside the academic world. It allows students to explore a new working environment and conditions, to adapt to new situations and to train their skills in ‘lifelong learning’. Having internship experience on your CV is highly valued by future employers. Following competences are aimed at:
- To gain a practical understanding of the characteristics of the domain, having insight into the multidisciplinarity of the domain of bioinformatics.
- To acquire a better insight into the application domain of their field of study.
- To gain insight into the importance of the domain for the vocational field.
- To accomplish a well-defined task in an independent way by using domain knowledge.
- To independently study a novel problem and search for the correct solution.
- To write a technical-scientific report.
- To orally present and defend a written report.